Harriet Martineau

I was doing my reading for my sociology class when I came across a famous sociologist named Harriet Martineau who lived from 1802 until 1876. What first struck me was the title of one of her books: Theory and Practice of Society in America, which was written about the physical and social aspects of our nation including the method used to raise children. I thought that was pretty interesting (and possibly controversial) and so I went to the internet to search the book hoping to find some sort of excerpt to read that would successfully quench my curiosity as well as aid me in stalling on my reading. Well, my search was a bust. I found no such excerpt and I was left reading a wikipedia article on her works throughout her life. It turns out she translated the works of another famous sociologist, Comte, into English.

Okay, so my point then that relates even the slightest bit to globalization and the point that sparked my interest in digging out the ever-complicated umw blogs password (that I really need to change) to post this blog late at night is that globalization has been and will continue to be an on-going constant in the world. Even in the 1800s globalization was occuring with the transfer and acceptance of not only foreign texts but foreign ideas. I think that this sort of exchange happens all the time whether it be through books, as it was in this case, or other forms of media. What one French man proposed sparked the interest of an English woman which sparked her participation in the field of sociology and of the discussion of ideas, which then sparked the interest of the people who read her books and the students she eventually began to teach, and so on and so on.

Globalization, though its most concrete examples lie in economic standings and political platforms, really seems to originate from pure thought. The spread of anything, even, originates in thought. And, because man has always been and will always be capable of thought, globalization has been and will always be a phenomena working to shape the way we see the world.